Monday, June 29, 2009

President Colson's reflections from last week's Outflys

As I began my week of attending Outflys in Clear Lake, the Twin Cities, and Rochester, I had what I thought was a fairly thorough understanding of the Wartburg community. I have read reams of material; I've spent significant time with the search committee, with members of the staff, and with the Regents. Moreover, I've engaged a few faculty members and a few students in what I thought were enlightening conversations that filled out my understanding of the College. But what I saw and experienced in my meetings each day with specific alumni and then again each evening at the Outflys was something altogether different. Looking back, what I now realize is that I did have a good "understanding" of Wartburg; but what my time with alumni during the past week has given me is something more valuable than "understanding." I now feel the emotional connection with the College that Wartburgers carry with them throughout their whole lives.

It's a little hard to put into words. During my first Outfly week, I met several alumni who graduated in the 1940's, several who graduated in 2009, and many who graduated in the years between. Some followed vocations in ministry, business, publishing, and farming; others are heeding the call to work in the medical professions, the law, consulting, and teaching. Indeed, the range of vocations is as wide as the range of generations. But what came home to me again and again is the devotion that all of you feel for your school. When I asked one alumna what she would like me to know about her school, she told me that the alumni are not only devoted to Wartburg College but also to each other. I saw that, too, and most important, I felt that during my week.

I came away from my first set of Outflys with an even keener appreciation of Wartburg College. I am so happy that I received and answered the call to serve as your president. And now I can hardly wait for the rest of my Outflys later in the summer.

- Darrel


President Darrel Colson

No comments:

Post a Comment