Friday, July 24, 2009

Cedar Rapids/Iowa City Area Outfly Host, Liz Mathis

My life has been blessed with the friendships I have made at Wartburg College. From 1996-98, I had the opportunity to teach in Wartburg’s Communication Arts Department. I cherish the time I spent working with young students in broadcast journalism and made many life-long friendships. A few years later, I was asked to become a Wartburg Regent and gladly accepted that responsibility and honor to serve the college.

A few years ago the Wartburg Alumni Association and Development Department contacted Mark and me about the possibilityof attending the annual picnic at a local park in Cedar Rapids. We suggested the event be held in our backyard; thinking people would like to gather at someone’s home, rather than a public park. Somehow that resonated with people. Through the years, Cedar Rapids outfly attendance has grown and on July 23, we had a record number of Cedar Rapids RSVP’s.

I think we consumed a record number of brats, too. Our new president, Dr. Darrel Colson has been a sport through the entire summer, attending so many of these get-togethers and eating pot-luck with a smile on his face. As we were walking through the buffet line I looked over to see two brats on his plate. Just based on that alone, he’s going to fit in nicely.

Liz Mathis


No comments:

Post a Comment