Monday, September 7, 2009

Orange on Ice: The First Wartburg Alumni to Run a Marathon on Antarctica

I was a freshman at Wartburg College when orange turned from a color to an ethos. “Be Orange” started as signs hung from walkway lights and two story banners bolted into Clinton Hall, but became a mantra for those who wished to excel in a life of leadership and service as a spirited expression of their faith and learning. I guess you could say that I am an Orange Pioneer, or, perhaps, I could better be described as an Orange Prototype, the kind that could easily be improved upon.

After graduating from Wartburg, I left with a deep desire to lead publicly as clergy by serving in a local parish. In a few years, I graduated from seminary, immersed myself in my congregation, and found valuable ways to serve my city. The values of “Being Orange” proved to have prepared me well for my occupational vocation. But last year, my public orange became personal. To keep changing my context, I needed to continue changing and challenging myself.

Outside of the occasional lucky shot in a pick-up game of basketball or a frantic dash across campus on my scooter, I was never known for being a particularly athletic person. Therefore, the prospect of running 26.2 miles seemed to be a ridiculous undertaking of pain and torture. Admittedly, marathons have gained significant popularity among even novice runners, but for my 6’2”, awkward demeanor, it seemed impossible!

I am proud to say what I once thought was impossible became a reality. Recently, I finished a marathon… on Antarctica. Unlike other marathons, this one included climbing a glacier, navigating quick-sinking mud, enduring the frozen elements, and skipping over fragile moss. The course weaved through the four science stations located on the northern most tip of the Antarctic Peninsula. Our cheering section consisted of some Russians, Uruguayans, Argentineans, and Chinese scientists as well as one lone penguin that strayed from his flock. The hilly, snowless terrain took me nearly five hours to complete, but the sense of accomplishment at the end was irrevocably triumphant to me.

In Be Orange years, I’m a senior citizen. I have begun my life of leadership and service as an outpouring of my faith. In that time, I have found the more I exclude myself from challenge, high expectations, and adventure the less I expect others to be their best and change for the better. I have been asked, “why run a marathon… on Antarctica?” Because it is there. Marathons push even the most elite athletes to their limits and Antarctica is the furthest place on earth from any civilization. Being orange is a challenge to change, to lead, and do something that has never been done. That is why orange on the ice makes sense to me.

I have started to wear my Wartburg jersey at other marathons. When I am asked was the "W" means, I say "WARTBURG COLLEGE, YOU RAH RAH RAH!"

Be Orange!
Scott Budlong '04

No comments:

Post a Comment